Advance your executive career in the global wine industry.
In 2012, the Wine Business Institute in the School of Business and Economics (SBE) at Sonoma State University in partnership with the wine industry launched the United States’ first Executive MBA focused on the business of wine. The Sonoma Executive Wine MBA program is offered in two formats: campus-based or low-residency.
Our campus-based Wine Executive MBA (WEMBA) program launches in January with classes that meet in-person on campus every other Saturday and online on Wednesday evenings. The fall Global Wine Executive MBA (GWEMBA) program begins each October and offers a low-residency format with online coursework along with in-person Residential Leadership Immersives in California, France, and Australia.
*Our pursuit of academic excellence continues as we adjust to the evolving situation due to COVID-19. Program schedule, activities, locations and delivery modes are subject to change. We are using on-line learning and virtual engagement where it is not possible to meet in person for the Residential Leadership Immersives. We are also adapting the extracurricular activities to ensure we are training students to adapt to future business environments and develop new abilities to innovate and lead in an ever-changing world.
Wine Executive MBA
Global Wine Executive MBA
|18 months - Campus Based||18 months - Low Residency|
|Leadership Training||Leadership Training|
|International Business Consulting Trip||Learning Immersives in California, France, and Australia|
|Access to a deep network of alumni and wine industry connections||Access to a deep network of alumni and wine industry connections|
|Launches each January||Launches each October|
Leadership & Experiential Learning
There are three experiential learning modules included in the campus-based Executive Wine MBA program.
- The first begins with a two-day immersive where students eMBArk on their journey of leadership development. The leadership track includes an additional off-site immersive where students further develop their capacity to work in teams.
- The Innovation, Design and Technology Leadership course offers an immersive workshop where students learn the art of design and innovation.
- The third experiential learning module is an international study tour where students are introduced to new cultures, visit international business facilities, and meet with senior management and industry specialists to discuss relevant topics.
Learning Objectives for the Sonoma Executive Wine MBA & Global Executive Wine MBA Programs:
- Plan and execute business decisions and strategies
- Develop leadership skills in self and others
- Understand ethical issues and problems from a leader’s perspective
- Manage in an ever-changing global environment
*Degree conferred is a Master of Business Administration