The Mentor Program provides opportunities for students to explore professions, companies, and industries in the world of work. Through it:
- We help students start the career search process early in their academic careers.
- Mentees develop meaningful interactions with business professionals.
- Mentees connect how classroom learning applies to the real world.
Mentees attend a professional skills training workshop to learn and develop professional networking and interaction skills that they then employ at the SBE Mentor-Mentee Meet & Greet.
At the SBE Mentor-Mentee Meet & Greet event, mentees are first paired with mentors and then they begin developing their plan for working together. After the event, mentee and mentor pairs work together to identify goals they would like to commit to over the course of the remaining semester.
Activities That Mentors May Provide
- Host a company tour; offer job shadowing; introduce mentees to colleagues and SSU alumni both within and outside of the organization
- Take students to a business meeting, training session, or workshop to observe managers in professional interactions.
- Demonstrate how to network with other professionals by attending a professional organization/service club meeting (Sonoma County Alliance, PASCO, etc).
- Attend a job fair and direct mentee toward internship and job opportunities.
- Offer advice on careers and setting academic goals.
- Give feedback on a resume and/or graduate school application.
- Hold a mock interview session (videotape and critique).
- Have a business lunch together; model professional phone etiquette; read an industry publication together.
- Must have a 2.50 GPA or higher.
- Must be an undergraduate Business or Economics Major at SSU.
- Must be a first-semester Sophomore or above.
- Must be able to attend one of two Professional Skills Workshops.
- Must complete and submit the Mentee Application by Friday, April 28, 2023.
Mentor Program Schedule and Important Dates
- Professional Skills Workshops: September 7 and 8, 2023 | 12:00 -12:50 p.m.
- SBE Mentor-Mentee Meet & Greet: Thursday, September 21, 2023 | 4:00 - 5:30 p.m.