Advance your executive career in the global wine industry.
In 2012, the Wine Business Institute in the School of Business and Economics (SBE) at Sonoma State University in collaboration with the wine industry launched the United States’ first Executive MBA focused on the business of wine. The Sonoma Wine Executive MBA program is offered in two formats: low-residency and campus-based.
- Sonoma Wine Executive MBA: The 17-month campus-based program offers an experience unmatched by any other institution of higher learning. Students have prime access to a world-class wine business education located at the intersection of Napa, Sonoma, and San Francisco. Courses are held in the Wine Spectator Learning Center, an innovative learning space gilded with advanced technology and flexible learning classrooms.
- Global Wine Executive MBA: The low-residency format comprises four “leadership intensives” in California, Australia, and France, and three-month segments of online case and project-based learning and faculty mentoring. Students have the rare opportunity to study with our distinguished wine business faculty from across the U.S. and the world.
Students enrolled in these two programs have the opportunity to embark on a two-week international business consulting trip to improve understanding of how to conduct business successfully in a different culture and economy. They also participate in a weekend sailing leadership training in San Diego Bay with America’s Cup veterans.
Sonoma Wine Executive MBA
Global Wine Executive MBA
|17 months||17 months|
|Friday/Saturday every other weekend||Varies|
|Sailing Leadership Training||Sailing Leadership Training|
|14-day International Business Consulting Trip||14-day International Business Consulting Trip|
|---||Four 10-day "Leadership Intensives" in California, France, and Australia.|
|Access to a deep network of alumni and wine industry connections.||Access to a deep network of alumni and wine industry connections.|
|Launches every March/April.||Launches every Fall Semester.|
International Consulting Tours
Students have the opportunity to embark on a two-week international consulting tour to improve understanding of how to conduct business successfully in a different culture and economy. The experience provides access to executives and local leaders through site visits and hands-on practice in consulting engagements. Consulting tours have engaged business and community leaders on the ground in Argentina, Botswana, Chile, China, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Hungary, Indonesia, Malaysia, New Zealand, Poland, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Thailand, and Vietnam.
Leadership Sailing Training
Students embark on a small crew sailing expedition designed to build teamwork and communication skills, self-assessment, and self-reflection--all important competencies for successful leaders in life and business. The experience begins with an orientation of sailing basics and builds toward synchronized sailing and racing under the guidance of expert sailors and America's Cup veterans.
Sonoma/Global Wine Executive MBA at a glance. Launches every March/April.
Program Learning Objectives
- Plan and execute business decisions and strategies
- Develop leadership skills in self and others
- Understand ethical issues and problems from a leader’s perspective
- Manage in an ever-changing global environment